Thursday, June 27, 2013

the "I don't feel like cooking" meal

I was exhausted Monday. I commuted from Mikes so I was awake at an ungodly hour, plus the rain from Sunday continued...I got home and just wanted to collapse.

After a few minutes of winding down and yoga, I was ready to eat--and starving. I was still in the "I don't feel like cooking" mood, but I had all of these fresh veggies and some feta cheese--I could make something work out of that.

So out of it came pasta (shocker, I know) with squash, kale, onions, carrots, garlic, feta and chicken. I will admit it--I used Trader Joe's frozen chicken fingers but they were good. Use fresh if you have it, but I didn't and wanted the added substance.

makes about 4 servings-perfect lunch leftovers

veggie and feta pasta
one large squash, diced in half moons
3 medium sized carrots, diced in half moons
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
2 cups of kale (this cooks down substantially)
1/2 lb pasta (I used whole wheat)
1 oz of feta, cubed
chicken, cooked and diced into bite size pieces
1 tbsp olive oil for cooking
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper for seasoning

  • bring a pot of water up to a boil, cook pasta with a generous amount of salt 
  • saute your veggies in a pre-heated pan with olive oil
  • remember to place the carrots in first, then squash as they take longer to cook the kale is quickest and can go last.
  • season as you add veggies, but be careful with salt--the feta is pretty high in salt content
  • under cook the pasta by about a minute--once done, drain and transfer to the pan with the veggies
  • add the feta and the lemon juice, and taste for seasonings--adjust accordingly 

enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment