Monday, June 17, 2013

ask and you shall receive: brioche french toast and grilled peaches

At some point I became a short order cook for my boyfriend.

Over the weekend he was just listing things he wanted to eat while I furiously typed ingredients on my phone to pick up. Obviously for breakfast he was not getting french toast, bacon AND fruit salad--I drew the line at bacon. I have my boundaries people.

Then Mike suggested peaches with the french toast and I decided I could be into this idea.

But I needed the perfect recipe. It couldnt just be any french toast--it needed to be on some thick, absorbent and fresh bread. And I needed to consult a trusted source. A friend bought me the smitten kitchen cookbook for my birthday last year, so I flipped it open and there it was-a cinnamon toast french toast recipe!

ps--made the bowtie pasta with sugar snap peas, lemon, ricotta and mint for dinner last night--coming soon!

I cut the recipe in half--made 6 slices

preheat oven to 450

brioche french toast
1 loaf of challah or brioche
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup milk (recipe calls for whole, I used 1%)
3 large eggs
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick of butter, softened

  • slice bread into about 1/4 inch slices
  • line a baking sheet with foil
  • mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl until well incorporated
  • butter bread on both sides, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (reserve a bit for the peaches)
  • place on cookie sheet in preheated oven for about 7 minutes--this gets the bread a little crispy and caramelized
  • while that is baking, butter a casserole dish on all sides
  • whisk eggs, milk, salt & vanilla in bowl for custard
  • remove toast from oven, lower to 375
  • let the bread cool then place in casserole dish as pictured below (I had to cut one slice in half to fit along the sides)
  • pour custard mix over bread


place the dish in the oven for 25 minutes

tip: while the french toast is baking, you can start your peaches, details below!

grilled peaches
  • rinse and slice your peaches
  • preheat pan and melt a half tbsp of butter
  • once melted, place peaches in pan & let grill on each side for about 3 minutes
  • sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on both sides and grill for another minute on each side



serve peaches on top of french toast with maple syrup-enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment