Wednesday, November 11, 2015

hearty vegetable soup

My absolute favorite part about our neighborhood here in Seattle is the year long farmers market. I love to stroll through, smelling the freshly fried doughnuts, scoping out the produce and picking up some $5 bouquets for the apt. Yep, FIVE DOLLARS.

One nice days (aka not this past Sunday) I can take my time perusing and pick up staples as well as some seasonal faves. But when it's downpouring 3 minutes after you walk outside (ahhh, Seattle) then you get in and out as quickly as possible. This weeks mission? Items for soup.

I didn't know exactly what I wanted aside from carrots: I found some rainbow ones that looked beautiful. I also added some potatoes, spinach and a small berry pie (not for the soup) along with some freshly baked brioche buns. Then I hustled home in my hunter boots, soaking wet and ready to cook.

I had a few other staples on hand to add to the meal. The best part about this soup, as with many of the things I cook, is that it's versatile and is SO HARD to mess up. Seriously, tell me if you do.

hearty vegetable soup
5 medium sized carrots, peels and diced
4 celery stalks, diced
1 shallot, finely minced
1-2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 cup of spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup of kale, roughly chopped
5 small potatoes, cubed into bite sized pieces
4 cups of vegetable stock (low sodium if you can find it)
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
2 tbsp of carrot tops, finely chopped (optional)
1 cup of pasta (I used small pasta)
2 tbsp butter
parmiggiano rind if you have on one hand, or some grated parm

  • heat the butter on medium high heat in a pot, let it melt slightly then add the carrots, stirring
  • lower heat to medium and let cook for 5 minutes, add celery and season with a pinch of salt and pepper
  • continue to stir and add in garlic and shallots, a bit more salt and pepper and let sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn
  • add vegetable stock, rosemary, parsley, carrot tops, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, parm rind and remaining salt and pepper
  • reduce to low heat and cover for 2-3 hours
  • add in potatoes and let cook for 5 mins on medium-low heat
  • in a separate pot, boil water for pasta
  • cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside
  • remove bay leaf and parm rind, add spinach and kale to soup
  • stir together and let simmer for another 5-8 minutes
  • ladle into bowl and spoon pasta on top along with some more grated cheese

variations: literally any veggie you have on hand, adding chicken, sub in rice for pasta, use double the kale and no spinach or vice versa, spice it up with extra red pepper flakes.

I served this with steak sandwiches on the aforementioned brioche buns and it was the perfect cozy Sunday night dinner. Give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment