Monday, November 23, 2015

charred cauliflower

I recently had some of the most flavorful cauliflower when Mike and I were out to dinner and it had me thinking about this vegetable in a whole different light. I normally roast it, or boil it and mash it with potatoes, but I have never though to prepare it almost like..meat.

But it's a hefty vegetable, one that can stand up to high heat and charring and not turn limp or burn easily. And this is an incredible way to infuse flavor into this easily overlooked veggie.

I tried it in my cast iron and I have to say: easy and delicious. I saved all of the smaller pieces and pureed them into potatoes, so none of it went to waste either.

Also, in case the 4 ingredient list below doesn't make it clear enough: its E-A-S-Y.

May I suggest this as a turkey day side to break up all those carbs?

charred cauliflower
1 head of cauliflower, with florets chopped so each piece is flat on both sides
salt and pepper for seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil

  • preheat oven to 375
  • preheat skillet to medium heat, add olive oil
  • season pan/oil with salt and pepper, add in cauliflower once hot
  • let cauliflower char for about 3-4 minutes each side, until browned
  • flip over, repeat for 3-4 minutes and transfer to oven for 10 minutes
The result will be perfectly seasoned, slightly charred and melt in your mouth cauliflower. Who knew I would get this excited over a vegetable?


No comments:

Post a Comment