Friday, November 20, 2015

friday tips: kitchen remedies

Focusing todays tips on cleaning tricks and ways I survive minor kitchen mishaps..

how to fight fruit flies:

this one is a HUGE peeve of mine...they drive me crazy!

set out a bowl with a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and a few squirts of dish soap. the sweetness and smell of the vinegar will draw them in and the dish soap will catch them and eventually...well..drown them.

the many uses for baking soda:

clean the bottom of a burnt pot. I do this more than I would like to admit, by overcooking a sauce or forgetting about something on the stovetop.

put about an inch of water and two tablespoons of baking soda and let it bubble. scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon and repeat until the burned bits are gone or can be scrubbed away.

clean your glass cook top. I have to say, my stove boils water pretty fast, but these things are a pain to clean. I've bought cooktop cleaners, tried different wipes, nothing can get them clean. until...baking soda.

mix about a tablespoon with a few drops of water until it forms a paste and scrub it on the stubborn spots. then scrub with a sponge, towel, or just your fingers until the spot comes out.

while we're on the topic of baking soda...I also like to date the baking soda I keep on the shelf to keep track of when I last did a deep clean of the fridge.

stinky microwave? 

stick a half of a lemon in there for 15 seconds and then wipe it down with a damp cloth

glasses not coming out of the dishwasher clean?

run a half/light cycle with a cup of white vinegar at the bottom and you will have your glasses sparkling again!


No comments:

Post a Comment