Monday, August 31, 2015

watermelon and feta salad with mint

It's hard to imagine summer coming to a close and I personally have been in denial about it because I have just experienced the hottest, most summery summer in five years. So among other things, I have been stockpiling watermelon. 

side note-did you know about yellow watermelon?!?! It’s a little less sweet and juicy but delicious all the same.

We have had bowls full of freshly cut watermelon in the fridge all summer and I am slicing it faster than Mike and I can eat it. And simple, cold watermelon is perfect but I wanted to try to find another way to enjoy this fruit.

Watermelon and feta is a combination I have seen before and I thought the two would make a satisfying sweet/salty salad with a bit of mint I grabbed at the farmers market and a quick vinaigrette.  We were having burgers last week and I decided this was the side that would lighten the dish up.

Mike made the burgers (bison and beef, in case you were wondering) and I whipped up this refreshing and super easy salad.

watermelon and feta salad with mint
(serves two)
2 cups of watermelon, cubed
4 oz of feta, cubed
10 leaves of mint, roughly chopped
juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
a sprinkle of cayenne, salt and pepper
  • whisk the lemon juice, olive oil and spices in a bowl and pour of watermelon
  • toss gently, then add feta and mint
  • serve immediately or chill in fridge



Any other ideas for squeezing every last drop of summer/watermelon? Send them my way!

By the way, I am looking for guest bloggers to share their favorite recipes or food stories with me and my readers. Contact me at vbiscottiblog@gmail.com if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment