Saturday, August 15, 2015

#eggseries finale: omelette

Months later, I woke up and finally decided to make an omelette. I have to admit, I never really learned the proper technique (and I can't promise that has changed much) but it is one of the most popular egg preparations and I felt I owed it to myself to give it a shot.

I think I understand why this is something every chef is expected to know how to make. It's not easy, it takes practice and technique and flaws are clearly visible.

For example, my omelette ripped when I tried to turn it, didn't come out as smooth and round as I wanted and was maybe a little too brown. After the recipe I will share suggestions for how to improve next time and later share with you all any progress I make as I work to perfect this.

I turned to Alton for this one and his steps were very specific, but the recipe felt complex to me. I dutifully followed his "egg warming" technique but he lost me on "snapping" the omelette back towards me and I wished there were pictures.

3-egg omelette
3 eggs
1 tsp butter, softened or room temp
a pinch of salt
any toppings you prefer

I sautéed kale, peppers and turkey before hand, sprinkled in some goat cheese and set it aside in a bowl for later. Use ANY toppings you like.

  • run the eggs under warm water (not hot) for about 3 mins
  • heat the pan on medium high
  • crack eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork (add salt here or at the end as I did)
tip: Alton suggests a fork instead of a whisk to avoid too much air getting into the eggs
  • butter the pan with one tsp of softened butter, and spread it all over the pan
  • pour your egg mixture in and stir with a rubber spatula vigorously for 5 seconds
  • spread the mixture around the pan by tilting it and then loosen the edges and spread the eggs with the spatula to form a circle and keep edges from sticking
  • let sit untouched for ten seconds
  • shake the pan to loosen, then add toppings to the center
  • fold the edges over each side and slide onto a plate (season with salt here if you did not do earlier)


#instacookingvideo here

Changes to make:

  • add another egg, or a smaller pan. I don't think I had enough egg to cover the pan fully. You can see gaps in the omelette forming
  • move quicker to spread the eggs out
  • lower the heat slightly--the recipe I followed called for medium-high heat, but I think with trying this for the first time, cooking it lower and slower may have helped me
  • lessen the topping amount-that definitely caused my omelette to tear


What do you guys want to see next?!? I have a kale recipe coming up (NOT kale chips), a new spice mixture that I am obsessed with this summer and a tasty spin on quesadillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment