Monday, March 9, 2015

lots of news and the 20 minute clean-up

Three weeks of funemployment down and we have made some big decisions.

A few months ago Mike and I decided to move out of the bay area, mostly due to cost of living, but also with the idea to explore a new city together. After mulling this decision over for months, we have finally locked down some plans...

First up, a three week trek across Australia and New Zealand with a quick stop on the Cook Islands. Then: scouting apts, packing up and driving north to Seattle, our new home.

All of these decisions have my type-A personality screaming with joy because I feel like the train that is my life is up and moving again. We have the trip of a lifetime booked, we have a general idea of when we want to move and I have begin scouting neighborhoods and rent prices. Oh, and I guess we both have to start looking for jobs. (one step at a time.)

Decisions are being made, we are moving to a new and exciting city and yet...this morning I started to panic.

The funemployment calm started to slip away when I began to think about all of the things that have to be done. There is less time to sleep in and cook elaborate dinners and lay on the couch watching Friday Night Lights. I have to plan. I have to clean. I have to pack. I have to move-again!

Organizing and cleaning calms me as much as planning does, but this afternoon I felt crippled with the stress of it all. So I employed one of my favorite tricks: the 20 minute clean-up. Set the timer on your phone for 20 minutes, blast some fun music and move as fast as you can and get as much done as possible. When the timer goes off? You're done. Or keep the momentum going and get a few more things checked off your list.

I felt instantly calm getting a few little things tidied up, the apt vacuumed and some laundry started. Now I relax on the couch with a book for a bit. Every little thing counts...

Any suggestions for Seattle? What about NZ or Australia? Leave 'em in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment