Thursday, October 17, 2013

quick and easy weeknight meal: stuffed chicken breast

I can't really count how many nights I come home from work and my dinner consists of wine and string cheese. One night it was wine and easter candy. Sometimes there isn't even wine food. Point is, there are plenty of nights where that is just fine, but I would rather not get [too much] into that.

Nights after work when I am motivated to cook, or come home from a great run and want something healthy, it still needs to be easy and not result in dinner at 10pm. Last week I finally broke in my new running shoes and was feeling great. The shin splints I have been suffering with for months seem to have subsided and I wanted to have something healthy but still yummy.

new running sneaks and the view I get to live with

In comes this stuffed chicken breast--it sneaks in a bunch of veggies and took about 20 minutes of prep time. Best part? The possibilities for stuffing are endless--ricotta and pancetta, butternut squash and broccoli, etc.

chicken breast stuffed with spinach, tomato and mushrooms
2 chicken breasts, sliced open lengthwise like a book (should open up, but not be fully sliced)
5 medium sized cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 tomato, diced
1 bag of spinach
2 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper for seasoning
3 oz of goat cheese, softened
3 tablespoons of butter
  • preheat oven to 350, heat pan (I used my cast iron skillet so it could transfer from stovetop to oven easily) with 2 tbsp butter
  • saute mushrooms, spinach and garlic (season with s&p) until cooked down, add tomatoes and cook for another minute
  • scoop veggie mixture into a bowl and set aside, wipe down skillet and add remaining butter
  • season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper, stuff half of the mixture into each and fold over sealing with toothpicks
  • add chicken to skillet, sear on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side) then transfer to oven
  • let chicken cook through (about 8 more minutes) then add goat cheese and put back in oven for goat cheese to melt (about another minute)
  • remove from oven, pull out toothpicks and serve
serves two


No comments:

Post a Comment