Wednesday, October 2, 2013

quick and easy weeknight meal: butternut squash ravioli

I can not tell you how many nights I just want something so yummy-but not enough to cook for hours after work.

Browsing through Trader Joe's after work with no idea what to make, I stumbled on their ravioli section. They always make the best ones--they have a carbonara one that is out of this world. But as soon as I spotted the butternut squash ravioli with fall on my mind (and soon to be in my belly) I knew what was going to happen.

A pizzeria and restaurant back home has these butternut squash ravioli with brown butter, sage and goat cheese on their menu that I die for. The sauce with the goat cheese melted in is craveworthy on its own, but adding the pasta gives it the perfect earthy flavor. I needed to recreate this (adding a vegetable to make me feel less guilty for all that butter.)

butternut squash ravioli with brown butter sauce and goat cheese
1 package of pre-made butternut squash ravioli
3 oz. of goat cheese
5 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper for seasoning
4 stalks of brocollini, cut into bite sized pieces
  •  put a pot of water up to boil
  • preheat a pan with 1 tablespoon of butter
  • add brocollini to pan, season with salt and pepper and saute until cooked through, turning frequently (about 6-8 minutes)
  • melt butter on low heat in a sauce pan, adding salt and pepper for seasoning (sage, thyme or rosemary would be a great herb to add here too if you have them)
  • cook pasta in salted boiling water--do not drain
  • scoop out pasta with a slotted spoon into pan sauce
  • spoon about 2 tablespoons of pasta water into sauce and ravioli, add brocollini
  • plate and add goat cheese on top
This is truly one of my favorite meals of all time--I hope you love it!



1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful. Butternut squash with dark greens is such a nice flavor combination :)

    ReplyDelete