Thursday, December 12, 2013

new ingredient alert: spaghetti squash

Just in time for fall, spaghetti squash swept the nation. Or at least my office. Okay, really just 4 of us on my team all cooked it in a week and obsessively talked about it for days.

Have you tried it?!? I made it once with one of my roommates in college and it was delicious but I seemed to have forgotten about it--until now.

In an attempt to decrease my pasta intake (ha!) I decided to make this one night. I am happy to report its fun, pretty easy and the result is tasty and well worth it. I paired it with my homemade pesto, asparagus and zucchini.

spaghetti squash
1 spaghetti squash, cut in half with seeds scooped out
olive oil for drizzling
salt and pepper for seasoning
  • preheat oven to 350, cover a baking sheet in tin foil and drizzle olive oil on squash halves, season with s&p
  • place cut-side down on baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping over halfway through
  • test to see if the squash is ready by scraping a fork through the insides--if it shreds easily, you can remove and let cool
  • once cool enough to handle (you have to hold onto the outside of the squash) begin to shred the squash with a fork and scoop into a bowl

veggies
1 package of asparagus, diced into bite sized pieces
2 medium sized zucchini, diced into half moons
salt and pepper for seasoning
olive oil to coat the pan
  • preheat pan on medium heat with oil
  • add veggies, season and cook until tender
  • add squash and pesto to veggie mixture, toss together and serve with grated cheese 
pesto recipe here



No comments:

Post a Comment