Wednesday, May 15, 2013

first (of many) belated posts: blueberry buttermilk pancakes

Since starting this blog I have been inspired to take the foods I crave to the next level-starting from scratch.  I have mentioned before I won't turn my nose up to a doctored-up box of mac n cheese and I can say the same for pancakes. I have never attempted them from scratch because from the box tastes pretty darn delicious and is oh-so-easy.

But this is about challenging myself to make craveable food in a way I never have, so I went to a trusted source for a pancake recipe: Tyler Florence. Besides his obvious acclaim from Food Network, he is a bay area food celebrity and his Wayfare Tavern restaurant is dangerously close to my office.

One of the things I love about Tyler's food is that he takes very simple recipes and makes them unique and new. You think you have tried fried chicken and then you have his and hit the floor.  The deviled eggs there are life changing. But clearly I am getting off topic....

I knew I could trust Tyler to have a straightforward but surprisingly special pancake recipe and he didn't disappoint. Bonus points for using whole wheat flour and making my bf and I feel like it was a healthy breakfast. (Plus look at all that fruit!)

I followed the recipe here, also listed below (cut in half):

Makes about 10 pancakes

blueberry buttermilk pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 1/2-2 eggs (if you are using extra large go with 1 1/2, for large use 2)
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup of blueberries (I probably used more-about 3/4 cup)

  • Sift all dry ingredients together in a large bowl (I got to break in my new teal bowls that I LOVE)
  • In a separate bowl mix the eggs, butter and buttermilk
  • Add the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until well blended
  • Fold in blueberries (do not whisk)

  • Pre-heat your pan on medium-low heat and melt a half tablespoon of butter
  • Once the butter is melted , pour batter (I like to use my 1/4 measuring cups so they are all even and they make it easier to pour) into pan
  • When the pancakes start to bubble (about 3-4 minutes depending on size), flip them over and let cook for anther 1-2 minutes

tip from Tyler that I loved: heat your oven to 200 and keep the cooked pancakes in there so stay warm while you finish cooking. no more cold pancakes or rushed cooking/eating!



Happy pancake eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment